Saturday, January 4, 2014

Stress

     Everybody has it in some amount. Everyone has to deal with it. But how? Several studies have shown that running/jogging helps relieve this stress. I agree 100% with these results, and I'm sure any other runners would too.

     At the beginning of the season, running was probably the cause of my stress. It wasn't that I hated doing it or anything but the coach made us have practice before school, after school, on weekends, and I never got a break. Homework drove me insane and I broke down crying trying to figure out a simple math problem. But like they say, times do get better. I guess I just finally got used to everything being so hectic in my life and I stopped worrying about not being able to complete things. The first period of time I stopped running, I started getting so much more stressed. I felt like homework was coming in from everywhere, and to top it all off my English teacher never gave me an A on my papers. Honestly, not even once. I'm a little bitter. But anyway, I realized that when I actually ran it got my mind off of so many things I didn't even know were there.

     There will always be problems in your life and obstacles you have to overcome, but running can make them seem more bearable. I don't really believe in taking any medication to relieve stress because it just makes you fat and sad. Doctors should prescribe exercise, not Prozac.

     When I run, I feel that I could finally think. Sometimes I bring along my iPod, but when I don't it's like the whole world just quieted down. Us human beings and especially us high school students are constantly  spending time with other people, laughing loudly, listening to lectures, blaring music! But sometimes you just have to get away from it all for thirty minutes.

     If I'm ever mad, I always want to punch something. I've broken a few walls because of this, and now I just wonder why I didn't just go for a run. Your feet hitting the pavement is a much better way to deal with anger than punching walls. When you run, your mind clears out and your body does whatever it wants. It's a lot better than seething all alone in an empty room.



Thanks for listening guys, if you're ever feeling stressed out, go out and run!

Song of the week:

No comments:

Post a Comment