Thursday, December 12, 2013

Quotes to Keep You Going

     Since winter running has started, and the weather is getting FREEZING I think we all need a little bit of inspiration to keep us going through this hard post-season.

     Already, I've noticed that I'm becoming increasingly lazy when it comes to running and it keeps getting more and more up appealing to go outside in the below zero, snowing, and sometimes rainy weather. Not only has the weather gotten worse, but now it gets dark even earlier! I know that all of you feel similarly, but I'm here to say that in the end, it's all gonna be worth it! If you keep training now, when track season rolls around, you'll be so much farther ahead of other people that didn't run in the winter. 

     If you honestly can't even stand cold weather, I suggest getting a membership to a gym. I would definitely do this, but unfortunately there's not a gym nearby where I live. Either way, I'm sure it's a really great investment during cold seasons. 

     At times like theses, I feel we can all use a little bit of inspiration! So, I've complied a few of my favorite running quotes in hopes that you'll fell better about this whole running thing. Enjoy!

“The will to win means nothing if you haven’t the will to prepare.” – Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner
“Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must move faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must move faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn’t matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be moving.” – Maurice Greene (attributed to Roger Bannister shortly after running the first sub-4 mile)
(My eighth grade cross country coach always told me this story!)

“Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?’” – Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian and Sub-2:12 marathoner
“A champion is afraid of losing. Everyone else is afraid of winning.” -Billie Jean King (tennis player)
“If you can’t win, make the fellow ahead of you break the record.” – Unknown
“Some of the world’s greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible.”-Doug Larson
“Some people train knowing they’re not working as hard as other people. I can’t fathom how they think.” -Alberto Salazar
Song of the week:

No comments:

Post a Comment